As a mom who wants to raise my two girls to be world-changers for Jesus, I find that my day to day reality doesn’t usually look the way I think it should. I am stretched thin and I find that these little girls are picking up some of my bad habits along with the good ones. I often wonder if my interactions with them are truly pointing them toward the God I love and serve, or if the “ME Gospel”, and my unhealthy attitudes and behaviors are getting in the way of that.
I want to be a Gospel Centered Mom. I want to give my kids the right foundation to know and follow Jesus when they are grown. But I don’t have loads of free time and energy to invest in learning how to walk out my calling as the mom God designed me to be. That is why this book is a beacon of hope for me.
I can honestly say it is worth the time I invested in reading it and meditating on it. Brooke lays down the biblical foundation and the how-to for raising our kids in a Christ-centered home. She doesn’t sugar coat. It’s not full of feel-good warm and fuzzy stuff (though she presents the messages in a loving “I’ve been there” kind of way). Gospel Centered Mom is full of real life-giving truth that will point us back to our Source every time. She gets to your heart like a good mentor who is walking this out for herself and knows the struggle. I found myself highlighting and underling on nearly every page, and I will surely be looking back at those key truths again and again.
The topics she covers include:
- Why Enough Always Feels Out of Reach- Enough Will Always Be Out Of Reach
- The Story of ME- The ME Gospel Keeps Us Focused On Ourselves
- Living Out God’s Story- Following Hard After God is the Best Way to Live
- Why Truth Matters- To Life to the Fullest Story God’s Given Us, We Have to Build on a Reliable Source of Truth
- Daily Disciplines for the Gospel Centered Mom- Living in a Gospel-Centered Way Helps Us Overcome When Life Tries to Deplete and Defeat
- STOP and Think!- With God’s Help, We Can STOP and Honor Him
- Broken into Wholeness- Suffering is Part of the Surrendered Life, and It Has Significant Purpose
- Eyes on the Prize- Release the Stress of Believing Everything is Your Responsibility
- Worth Fighting For- Learn to Fight For, Not Against Your Child
- Protect the Story- By Recognizing the Enemy’s Tactics, We Can Resist Temptation and Protect Our Testimonies
This book includes discussion questions in the back and would make a great study for a group of moms.
What are your biggest challenges in raising your kids?
About the Author
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.